Sustainable Naperville 2036

Our 15 Year Vision

Sustainable Naperville 2036 is a 15 year vision that recommends incremental transitioning to a cleaner, more efficient, less wasteful, environmentally robust, economically sound and just, healthy, inclusive, resilient community. Its intention is that a multi-stakeholder, community-wide sustainability and climate resilience plan will be collectively created and established as a living document that can be modified as necessary when scientific targets change, technology evovles, crises arise, or resources availability is altered. Revisions to the completed plan are expected to be considered every 2 to 4 years.

Our 2036 Report [released 08/09/2021]

Our Sustainable Naperville 2036 Report has set the goal of reducing our greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 60% from 2012 levels by the end of 2035. This aligns with the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s emissions reduction goal, which, if achieved, will hold global warming to 1.5ºC or less. In Naperville, most of our GHG emissions come from buildings, followed by transportation.

To achieve our emissions reduction goals, Naperville must adopt renewable clean energy, improve energy efficiency of buildings, conserve and restore our natural environment, transition to electric vehicles, and more. In all, our report has approximately 100 recommendations to move our whole community to a sustainable, climate-resilient future. These recommendations are fiscally responsible—who doesn’t want to save money?!—and will mean that Naperville continues to be the best place to live, work, and visit!

Vehicles account for 24% of our current emission sources. The remaining 76% are 54% energy, 21% natural gas, and 1% waste.

By incrementally reducing our greenhouse gas emissions, we all do our part in saving money, protecting the environment and creating a cleaner, healthier, more resilient community.

A 60% reduction by 2036 = 4% per year

Learn how residents and businesses can do their part.

Sector Goals and Progress

Please read about the goals and progress for each of the reports sectors: